The Work of Byron Katie is a way of identifying and questioning stressful thoughts. When I meet my thoughts with understanding, they are neutralized, freeing me to live in ways that are clearer, kinder, and more powerful than was possible before.
The process is simple. It consists of four questions and the turnarounds. Sitting in these questions, allowing my own wisdom to meet the questions, releases me from stuck thinking.
For example, if I have the thought “He doesn’t care about me,” I get anchored in the situation where I believed the thought and ask four questions:
1. Is it true? (yes/no)
2. Can I absolutely know it is true? (yes/no)
3. How do I react, what happens when I believe that thought?
4. Who would I be without the thought?
I then look for turnarounds, or opposites to the original statement. In this case, I look for examples of where it true or truer that, in that situation:
- He does care about me. (turnaround to the opposite)
- I don’t care about him. (turnaround to the other)
- I don’t care about myself. (turnaround to the self)
As a Certified Facilitator, my job is to hold space for you to answer these questions in the situation where your thinking created stress. The wisdom that meets the questions is your own.